Saturday, December 8, 2012

What Inspires A Story

I like to share pictures of the places I write about.  Here are some  photos I borrowed from Trip Advisor of the Albay Province in the Philippines where my story Mayon takes place.


Naga Photos



                                        This waterfall is located in one of the mountain parks.

Naga Photos


                                              Spanish style architecture.

Naga Photos


Zipping through traffic jams and avoiding potholes is a lot easier in a pedicab. This popular means of transport is the preferred choice of many locals who'd rather depend on their study legs than pay for imported gas.

Naga Photos



The World War II Willis Jeep was refurbished and turned into a  means of public transportation. Owners outdid each other with colorful (and oftentimes garish) designs to make them as attractive as possible.   They changed the name to "Jeepney" and continues to be used throughout the country..

Legaspi Photos

      Rice paddies abound in the shadow of the volcano because the soil is so rich.

Legaspi Photos

This is all that remains of the church at Cagsawa after Mount Mayon's fierce eruption in 1814.
    The townsfolk who'd gathered together to pray for help were buried alive.

Legaspi Photos

This water buffalo aka kalabao is an indispensable part of farming in the Philippines.  

Bicol Region Photos

              A birds eye view of Mount Mayon. Note the lush greenery at the base.

                 Did you know that black-sand beaches are composed of volcanic minerals and lava fragments? This is why you only see this phenomenon when there's a volcano in the vicinity.  

Bicol Region Photos

                      A modern day beach shot with Nipa huts along one side. 

4 comments:

  1. I much prefer this setup. It's very easy to read.
    Brilliant photos - especially Mayon and the waterfall. One day I might get there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a while but I'm happy with the colors and the layout. I agree it's easier to read. The photos make me want to hop on a plane and go somewhere warm:) It was cold and miserable today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much easier to read even though I'm not a green person. Beautiful pics. The huts are called bures in Fiji. I love the old church and the one of the rice paddies. The weather has been no better here even though it's summer. Today is sunny for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems we all agree this is easier on the eye. The pics you've shown of Fiji remind me of the Philippines so I'm not surprised they also have the huts over there. Hope your weather improves. Ours won't until March 2013. It's going to be a long winter, ugh...

    ReplyDelete